It’s been a whirlwind season for Woods, who was in the midst of the worst slump of his career when he missed seven weeks in 2016 with a concussion.
He played in just eight of the 32 games that season, including two starts.
He also missed four of his final five.
It’s clear Woods is not the same player he was during the 2015-16 season, when he led the majors in home runs, RBIs and slugging percentage.
He had two-thirds of the plate appearances in 2016, but he didn’t have the same impact.
He’s hit just .212 with five homers and 19 RBIs in 30 games this season.
“I feel a lot better now,” Woods said.
“I think the only thing I can do is go out there and play hard and put the ball in play.
It feels like it’s a new year.” “
It’s been tough, but it’s been fun.
It feels like it’s a new year.”
Woods has played in the majors just two times since 2014, and the first time was last year.
He was released from Major League Baseball’s concussion protocol last week, meaning he can play in the MLB All-Star Game, which is scheduled for July 14.
The news comes a day after Woods said he’s “ready to go.”
“We’ll see what happens,” Woods told ESPN’s “Outside the Lines.”
“I’ll be ready when the time is right.”
While Woods’ return was expected, it was the first of many for the 23-year-old.
The Yankees announced that the club would waive third baseman Mariano Rivera, third baseman Yoenis Cespedes and catcher Jorge Posada to make room for Woods.
The roster also features a slew of other free agents who are no longer eligible for arbitration.
For Woods, it’s the first step toward a comeback.
He said he has to be careful not to let the concussion hurt his rehab.
“For me, the concussion is more than just my head,” Woods tweeted.
“When I was out I was always in the process of healing and I was still in pain, too.
But I have to be smart and have my mind on the bigger picture and try to get better every day.”